Go for Regular Exercise
Regular Exercise is good for eye care as it stimulates good blood circulation and oxygen intake. It keeps our weight within the healthy range that reduces the risk of diabetes and diabetic retinopathy.
Wear Suitable Eyewear
Always wear a sun safety and protective eyewear during sports or recreation. Wearing sunglasses will protect your eyes from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays and prevent cataracts and macular degeneration.
Avoid Eye Injury
Prevent eye injury by wearing protective eyewear while working on any improvement projects at home or at work. Have at least a pair of certified safety glasses with you.
During sleep, the eyes produce continuous lubrication as well as to clear out dust, allergens and many other irritants. Sleep helps to prevent our eyes from getting too much UV rays but sometimes natural light benefits our eye health when we are awake.
As we know, smoking does not only bring disadvantages to our body but also to our eyes. Smoking can increase the risk for cataract and cardiovascular diseases that will influence your vision health. Smoking will also contribute in severe vision loss for those who have other eye disorders.
Nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, vitamin C and E might contribute in warding off age-related vision problems like macular degeneration and cataracts. The following are recommended eye care food that can lead to good eye health:
- Green, leafy vegetables
- Salmon, tuna and other oily fish
- Egg, nuts, beans and other non-meat protein sources
- Oranges and other citrus fruits
Look Away from Computer Screen
If you are required to work with a computer for long hours, you should:
- Make sure your eyewear has up-to-date prescription and is suitable for computer use
- Position your computer so that your eye level is at par with the top of the monitor
- Avoid glare on your computer from windows and lights by using anti-glare screen
- Blink more to avoid eyes getting dry
- Rest your eyes by looking 20 feet away for 20 seconds after every 20 minutes